|Since 1971 Dronfield has been twinned with
Sindelfingen, situated in the State of Baden--Wurttemberg, Germany.
The formal partnership document was signed by the Mayors of the two towns on 2nd October, 1981. In the document it is agreed that both towns will undertake to further the relationship between their citizens in all aspects, to contribute their share to the mutual prosperity of the two nations and above all to educate their youths in the spirit of tolerance and mutual understanding.
Sindelfingen is situated in South West Germany, ten miles west of Stuttgart and has a population of c65,000. Thanks to motor cars, computers and textiles, Sindelfingen is a significant commercial town and trade centre. The Daimler-Benz and IBM factories as well as the textile wholesale trade centre which had developed into one of the most important transit points in the European clothing industry constitute the most prominent commercial factors. These are complemented by many small and medium scale companies in various branches of industry
The name Sindelfingen was first mentioned in 1066 when the Chorherrenstift (Cononical Foundation) was established and there is documentary evidence that Graf Rudolf von Tubingen/Herrenberg founded the town in 1263. Sindelfingen can look back over a century old tradition of weaving, and began its development into a modem industrial town in 1915 with the arrival of Daimler/Benz, a development which took a sharp upward trend after the Second World War. In the Old Town there is a wealth of half timbered houses restored in recent years, a fine old town hall and above all the old Church of St Martin which is over 900 years old.
Sindelfingen has an impressive range of sporting and cultural facilities. The Stadthalle (Civic Hall), which was completely refurbished in 1989 has accommodation for up to 15000. The outstanding swimming pool complex, the Glaspalast (Glass Palace) and the Floschen stadium host, amongst other events, the Davis Tennis Cup, the European indoor light athletics championships and the German swimming championships.
During the period of the twinning links there have been many civic, cultural, sporting, youth and professional exchanges. In May 1991 the first citizens' visit took place when a party of 45 Sindelfingen citizens visited Dronfield. This was followed by similar visits from Dronfield to Sindelfingen in 1992 and from Sindelfingen to Dronfield in 1993. Reciprocal visits took place in June/July 1996 when celebrations were held to mark the 25th anniversary of the Twinning Partnership. The links have been strengthened with the passage of time and have resulted in many personal friendships between the residents of the two towns. For further information contact B Charlesworth (01246 417940) or Mrs S Brown (0114)2890517.
In 1992 Dronfield entered into an informal friendship link with Sondrio, a picturesque town of 27,000 people located in the Italian Alps, near the Swiss border.
The Dronfield school entered into a student exchange programme with college Cervantes, Vernon, France in 1993.